Thursday, August 30, 2012

In the Refiner's Fire:......Only a Shadow.......


 I recently asked fellow staff and their children to pair up and trace the outline of the shadow cast by the side profile of each other’s head. The idea that evolved amongst Some of these pairs then asked if the rest of their family could also included so that a display could be made. It then struck me that if these side profiles were created for each YWAM Arua staff’s family, they could make an attractive, low cost visual introduction for visitors entering the base dining hall.
   The finished displays, developed by the ladies above, are much appreciated by the base’s many visitors and most staff. But a few staff members were initially disappointed because 1. the drawer was either not attentive or not gifted enough, or, 2. the model too fidgetty, or  c. because the person was shocked to see what their side profile was really like.   
   As I thought about these reactions & references to shadows in scripture I felt God remind me again that...
1.… my study of his character determines the accuracy with which I present him to others.
2.… in the same way shadows mark time as they move, God numbers my days.
3.… in the same way shadows can only shield me from the sun’s glaring heat if stay within them, God can only protect me to the extent that I live under the guidelines he’s provided for my health, relationships and growth spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally and socially.
4.… if God is likened to an agile eagle whose wings its young need to stay under, then likewise I believe I
need to grasp and move with the panoramic vision and plans God longs for all his creation to embrace.
. Psalm 36:7
How priceless your faithful love is!
Important and ordinary people alike find safety in the shadow of your wings    

No comments: