Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Sacrifice: What has been your recent experience of it?

That was the question I, Adam, was recently challenged to answer when asked to speak to our church's 7-11 year old kids Life Group. Of course our answer depends on our definition of sacrifice. The definition of 'sacrifice' given to the group was 'to give up something good to gain something better'.

In which case I've come to see that every choice I make, and I make one every few seconds, is a sacrifice. The challenge I've seen is understanding what is a 'better choice'.

Jesus' example, claims and teaching have helped me to see that our 'better choices' please our creator and heavenly Father. As a result they have more long term and more communal benefit. Those are the better choices I can make. I increasingly desire to make those kind of choices.

International, national and local news continually reminds me we are  blind and deaf to our interdependency. Individual choices don't just have individual consequences. Jesus foretold that in John's Gospel, chapter 15, in his teaching on the vine, the branches and the gardener.

Thank you to all who shared this discussion and deepened my understanding of sacrifice. I drafted the following  nemonic  to summarise some aspects of sacrifice I've experienced.

     Sacrifice is giving up:
Security
Approval of others
Comfort and convenience
Right to receive justice
     to gain better/greater things:
Interdependence
Firmer faith
Inspiration from God
Community, inner conviction and conflict resolution
Energy, passion, empowered friends and partners

You are welcome to share yours. I'd love you to read it.  Thanks.
For shalom.
Adam. 

No comments: