Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Warm welcome, support for refugee camps & community development from YWAM Arua

 After a relatively cool trip to Arua I really appreciated being met by my YWAM colleague Paul from the bus stop and the warm welcome from our  part-time compound staff and many other base staff.  I was blessed with some local delicacies, and my favourite cake. Helen taught Kevin our home help to make it.

At the YWAM base meeting the following morning I was warmly welcomed and began to feel as if I’d only been away for four  weeks, not four months. 

The base has been regularly visiting a refugee camp for people displaced by the recent conflict in S Sudan. YWAM has been providing shelter for the most vulnerable refugees, e.g. is Single mothers with many children, Child headed families (Parents are still in South Sudan), the elderly and the disabled. I joined a team visit to see if there were any deaf refugees needing support .


Several visiting teams and couples were on site. DTS graduate Charles, centre, one of our advocates, is enjoying bringing compassion and hope to his customers as he shaves them. 





William our gardener showed me the rabbit-breeding income generation project that we have asked him and David, a local youth to pilot. Despite some challenges it is progressing well. Numerous litters are beginning to sell well and they continued to do so whist I was there. 



I hope to introduce the idea to a family with a deaf member so that they could run together. Book-keeping, avoidance of inbreeding and tithing are key values for us in this project.

No comments: