Wednesday, March 26, 2014

More support, growth & lobby focus amongst our Kampala partners

Having landed at Entebbe at 2am, I was grateful my great Entebbe guest house hosts, Dave & Alison, ,top right, who were there to collect me. I couldn’t remember the dirt track route to their place at night! We’re grateful for their support. Ask me for their contact details if you need accommodation in Entebbe!

I was in Kampala at the deaf church of deaf pastor, Rev. Fred by 11am, shown right with two of the members. Numbers are growing and they now have a development plan. later, I met Rev Fred  and Deaf Bible School director Samuel again to exchange recent developments in our discipleship programmes and explore how we can continue to help them with documenting their development of  biblical sign language vocabulary. As a result, our IT training partner, Andrew (Inset) whose work with us has recently helped him gain full-time work, will be partnering Rev Fred  and his collegue David to continue this work. 

Then I met Ray (right), He interprets a national  TV company’s  weekly news summary. We discussed  which children’s programmes might  have the greatest impact if interpreted for the deaf. We explored how all involved might be motivated to do more than the minimum legal requirement.




On Monday I met Joseph (right), lead advocate, at national deaf association’s offices. Lobbying for  the  introduction of  signed  children’s TV programmes is not one of the national deaf association’s priorities for 2014. However, he has agreed to join Ray and I in requesting a meeting with the TV company Ray’ works at to raise the issue . Joseph has also highlighted another project that will be useful  for our sign-language resource work. D0 pray for break-through in this area. Clear communication is vital for healthy relationships with family, school, our creator & for gaining knowledge, practical skills, work too.

  Then it was off to Arua by bus.

No comments: