Saturday, December 17, 2011

Signs & Wonders: Compost and Composure!


Well, one of this month’s memorable events was attending a seminar explaining how a newer latrine design is helping to prevent human sewerage contaminating shallow bore-holes nearby when the water table is high. Instead it produces smell-free compost fit for the garden after 12months! Handling the compost a step of faith!

Another challenge was learning to depend on our motorbike indicator light to show the way home when the headlamp failed last weekend in the pitch dark town-centre. My eyes had just enough time to recover from its dazzling flashes and get a brief glimpse of the kerb and potholes before being plunged momentarily back into pitch-black! Helen shone her phone-torch over my shoulder as we vigilantly crawled home, grateful we hadn’t had to push the bike for 2 miles over uneven tracks!

Then one sat afternoon after, we simultaneously watched Man U. and Arsenal’s matches in a bar, Laurence dropped his phone as he left. When we called Laurence's phone, the guy who answered then demanded 10% of the phone’s value in return for handing it over. Once the barman’s watchman arrived he relented. Meanwhile the Arsenal fans in the bar seemed to get more joy from Man City’s successive goals against Man. U. than their own team’s victory! – Slightly to my annoyance!

One of my final chuckles of the month was trying to work out why my toothpaste tasted like shampoo. I later discovered that in my desperation to get some sleep after 12 hours on a bus to Jinja YWAM base I’d coated my toothbrush with sun-block! Adam:

No comments: