Wednesday, August 11, 2010

At the refinery - DTS topics



In the first DTS topics we learnt about God’s nature, character and what God says about us from scripture. We were all really encouraged.

Last week the teaching was on relationships and marriage. The key message was that it is our beliefs that shape our understanding of ourselves, others and God. We have beliefs concerning absolutely everything, not just God! Scripture says that it is the difference between my beliefs and my perception of reality that determines first my thoughts, then my feelings and then my behaviour! If I put these as labels on the decks of this ship, only my behaviour, and to a limited extent my feelings and thoughts, are visible, ie above the waterline.

Through experience I’ve found this to be true. So my beliefs are the source of all my actions and reactions to reality. What do I anchor those beliefs in?! I continue to try and anchor my beliefs in truth , as I discover it in scripture in its original setting. Fresh communication tools are also helping me check my perception of reality is accurate.

Together these choices have made my thoughts, feelings and behaviour towards myself, others, my environment (the seas/skies around the ship), and God far healthier. Do try this!. Ad.

"Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life." Proverbs 4v23 NCV
"If you fear, Put all your trust in God: that anchor holds. Heb. 6:19

No comments: