Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Upside down: Third Alioce sign-language workshop


I worked with a lovely young boy who had walked 2 miles to the session and he was alone because his mum was nursing. He like so many was a quick learner.

Then I was interrupted by a rather anxious Revd. Solomon who thrust the hand of a profoundly deaf and blind timid boy into mine. His head was bowed and he clearly felt very awkward. His mother trailed behind. She also had a hesitant air about her.

Suddenly I was out of my depth. I could see no way forward on my own with this pair. In a panic I turned to Revd Allen for a solution. He was teaching a deaf adult but I interrupted and he just signed…slowly, slowly, slowly. I relayed the sign back and received a knowing smile and nod.

Half an hour later the boy was accepting hand contact to his palms, hands and face and then I glimpsed him doing the sign for fish. I am still amazed and encouraged by his progress and that mum was getting involved.

Our visits to Alioce(pronounced Alioche), are something that I half dread doing but afterwards feel a great sense of purpose in what I have done. Today was no exception. Maria joined us today. As the 30 local deaf arrived from all directions with a family member over the first hour, the signing deaf youth from St Phillips then paired off with them and started teaching them.

Two deaf youth have even asked for copies of the sign sheets to share with their families.

No comments: