Wednesday, May 12, 2010

AruaTown Library Sign-language books are in daily use.


When I called in today to see how much the sign-language books were being used the two guys staffing chuckled and answered "daily!".

They then pointed me to one deaf youth, Adam, (below) engrossed in one of the books. He was so grateful. His signing was clearer than a week ago! Amazing.



Passing children taught by local deaf, as they crowd around sign display (picture)

Then, as the staff helped me complete a window display, some passing school children rushed over to examine them. They enjoyed trying the signs and initial shyness quickly gave way to trying something new.

On what must have been a divine cue, Adam and another deaf adult, ,(right) appeared from no-where to give a fluent sign demonstration that transfixed the children. I have replayed that special moment in my mind many times.

We have now enabled Adam to learn to build two afternoons a week.

No comments: